I finished my 21 days of trying my best to go off sugar.
Although I am happy with my progress, I am not entirely happy with how the 21 days went.
- I had about 4 “cheat” days
- I didn’t cut out ALL sugar (for example: Honey, fruit and certain refined carbs)
- I don’t think I experienced the FULL BENEFIT of really detoxing from sugar… And this is what I am after – really getting to that point of moving beyond the withdrawal and cravings and starting to experience all the benefits. Like…. better and a more stable mood, better sleep, clarity of mind, more energy and some weight loss.
So… What I am going to try to do over the next 21 days is to:
- Consistently cut out all forms of sugar (Including honey, fruit and hidden sugar in snacks – see this cool picture to the left…)
- Lower my overall carb intake (Mostly for me: Bread; rusks; wraps; rice; potatoes; pasta; pizza)
- Decrease my caffeine intake to 2 cups max per day – mostly to help with the anxiety and insomnia.
- Trying not to get too ravenous (this is when I make my poorest food choices) – so filling my tummy with good stuff whenever I am hungry.
Here is a great list of all those other names under which sugar hides in foods:
- Corn syrup or high-fructose corn syrup
- Dextrose or crystal dextrose
- Evaporated cane juice or fruit juice
- Carob syrup
- Brown sugar
- Raw sugar
- Dextrin and maltodextrin
- Rice syrup
- Evaporated corn sweetener
- Confectioner’s powdered sugar
- Agave nectar
- Other fruit nectars (for example, pear nectar)
There also “healthier” sugars, including coconut palm sugar, honey and blackstrap molasses. Generally since these are far less processed (especially real, raw honey), they are OK in moderation but still a source of sugar to keep to small amounts.
So today is another day 1 for me… wish me luck!
Love Helene x x x